St Mary the Virgin
First Sunday of the month:- High Mass - 10am with incense
Second Sunday of the month:- Sung Eucharist - 10am
Third Sunday of the month - High Mass - 10am with incense
Fourth Sunday of the month - Sung Eucharist - 10am
St Mary’s Church is geographically the central church of the eight parishes and one of the largest. The growing congregation now averages between 25-45 from a population of approximately 550. The church electoral roll stands at 47. We hold a 10am service each week. There is a growing choir who sing on first and third Sunday’s at High Mass services and several voluntary organists. We have a mid-week communion on the first Wednesday of the month at 10.30am usually followed by coffee at the Hop Pocket Craft Centre.
There is a kitchen and a large seating area at the side of the church which is used for meetings and refreshments after services. The Friends of St Mary’s helps to finance repairs to the church.
The Vicarage for the whole benefice is situated in Bishop’s Frome, a short walk from the church.
St Mary's is a striking building. It has a square tower with a peal of six bells and dates back to the 12th century. The building was altered by the Victorians in the late 1800s and it is in this neo-Norman form that it now stands.
The chancel dates from 1847 and the nave and north chapel from 1861. The west tower and the tower arch date from the 14th century. The south porch is neo-Norman but, on walking through the Victorian porch, a fine original 12th century doorway greets the visitor.
The church includes some interesting features including a lead-lined Norman font, one of only twenty in England, and a Lady Chapel refurbished with materials from the now defunct Munderfield Chapel.