First Sunday of the month:- BCP Matine - Lay led - 10am
Third Sunday of the month:- Holy Communion - 11.30am
Fromes Hill is a small community. Of its 200 inhabitants, 17 are on the church’s electoral roll and about 10-12 (all retired people) attend services regularly. The village has lost its village hall, shop and post office; there is no meeting place for the inhabitants other than the pub. Our vision is to make St. Matthew’s Church into a community meeting place as well as a place of worship. We hope that by reordering the inside of the church we can draw the inhabitants together as a community, and also bring them into the life of the church family. We want congregation and community to grow together, encouraging and supporting each other.
St Matthew’s is a small, beautiful Victorian church. It was built in 1886, and has not altered architecturally in any way since. It is now a Grade 2 listed building, in reasonable repair. We have already shown that we can rise to the challenge of new work on buildings and facilities:
• Ten years ago we were advised that the roof needed replacing. By fund raising and successful applications to various grant making trusts we were able to finance the project and the work was completed seven years ago.
• In 2009 we were left a considerable amount of money: the only stipulation being that part of the sum be spent on
new memorial windows in the chancel apse. These were designed and made by a local stained glass craftswoman,
using ideas given to her by the church members. On 18th July 2010 the windows were dedicated by the Bishop of
• Recently we have been able to purchase some land adjoining the churchyard for use as a car park, again using some of the money left in the bequest.
We are willing to fund raise to enable us to use the building in the future to fulfil our vision of mission and outreach.
St Matthew's is a small and beautiful Victorian church. It was built in 1886 and has now altered architecturally in any way since except for the new East windows made by a local artist which were installed in 2010 and dedicated by the Bishop of Hereford.
The church is a Grade 2 listed building.